Dizziness during pregnancy is one of the most common symptoms experienced of every woman conceiving. It is a normal feeling that you’ll experience especially during the first and third trimester of your conception. Definitely, feeling dizzy can be scary at times and can may lead to fainting. However, you need not to worry if once in a while you experience dizziness during pregnancy.
There are several possible causes of dizziness during pregnancy. As your body undergo drastic changes, your hormones and blood levels rise up and fall down drastically as well. And as your hormones rise up, it causes your blood vessels to widen and relax. Thus, it helps increase the flow of blood to your growing baby. Then, the blood slowly returns to your veins. This leads to extremely low blood pressure, which may reduce the flow of blood to your brain.
Dizziness during pregnancy can also be caused by low blood sugar levels. It may occur especially when your body adapts your metabolic changes. Women who have varicose veins or has anemia are also susceptible to dizziness during pregnancy.
Remedies to Dizziness during Pregnancy
Dizziness during pregnancy may also be caused by lying on your back and other physical activities. In order to reduce the amount of dizziness that you experience, you may use these suggestions:
- Do not stand up for hours. If you need to stand, make sure that your feet are constantly moving. This should keep the blood circulating in your body.
- If you are lying down or sitting, try getting up slowly. This is very important to keep the blood flowing in your body and not stuck in your lower body.
- Don’t skip meals. Eat regularly. Lack of energy and food supply is one of the common reasons why pregnant women experience frequent dizziness during pregnancy. Do not wait for long periods between meals.
- Avoid hot showers. Hot temperature can also be a cause of dizziness during pregnancy. If you must, you can take a warm bath for a few minutes.
- Always wear loose and comfortable clothing. Fitted tight clothes can restrict blood circulation.
- Always be hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids such as water and juices.
If your dizziness during pregnancy is caused by sickness, you should contact your doctor right away. He should prescribe you with the appropriate medication for your condition.
Fainting and Dizziness during Pregnancy
There are times when your dizziness during pregnancy can be so intense that you feel the urge to faint. It is common for women to faint during pregnancy however, you should be very cautious. Here are some tips in case you feel like fainting:
- Take a sit or lie down. Then, keep your head down.
- Take several deep inhalations and exhalations
- If you are wearing tight clothes, loosen it up or remove it.
- Open the windows. Move to the location where the air is circulating.
- Always eat foods rich in iron.
Go to your doctor if your dizziness during pregnancy is accompanied by vaginal bleeding or pain in the abdomen region.